Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Adventures in Grocery Shopping

I know, I know. I've been remiss in my blogging obligations... Kelly claims that I started this blog and just as I got you sucked in, I stop blogging. So Kelly, this blog's for you!

I don't just hate grocery shopping; I DESPISE it. I think I finally came to the realization of how much I hated it when about 15 yrs ago I just stopped going. That given Saturday morning was so much more enjoyable... Granted Bill started getting worried when he saw the food rations dwindling. I just figured when he got hungry enough, he'd start shopping. It took about 2 days.

Quite honestly I have not grocery shopped in 15 yrs. Seriously! I have been known to pick up a bottle of wine on my way to a quilting or knitting event but that's pretty much it. Well guess what?! Now that I'm living sans Bill, I have to grocery shop!! Its not like riding a bike; you DO forget how!!

My first trip to the store was an absolute nightmare! After I finally found the store (HEB, its a really nice store), I parked the car and walked in. The first section I encountered was the fresh produce... OMG!!! How many different kinds of lettuce can you have? Bibb, red leaf, green leaf, romaine, iceberg, arugula, Boston, escarole and on and on... and then you can buy it either organic or regular(inorganic?)or torn up for you in a bag or in a plastic container, with or without salad dressing... Don't get me wrong, I know about the different types of lettuce and such but after a long day at work, who really wants to have to face all of these choices?!

So I grabbed a cart an start my trek. A head of leaf lettuce, now what? Uh, maybe I was supposed to have a plan? OK, what goes with lettuce? Some cherry tomatos (that sounds good) and oh, yea, some salad dressing. Phew, I made it through the fresh veggie section. Now its on to the fresh fruit section for apples... OMG!!! How many different kinds of apples can there be?! red delicious, yellow delicious, granny smith, Fugi, Braeburn, royal gala, honey crisp and on and on. No wonder people walk around the grocery store with glazed looks on their faces!! They're on produce overload; and I'm quickly getting there myself!! OK, I have to get the fuck out of here. What's within my grasp so I can make a quick exit? A few potatos, a bag brown rice, milk, tortilla chips, bread, wine and cookies!!

There,I made it!! I beat cheeks home. I'm in the door. I'm unloading my groceries... and then I realize... WTF am I going to have for dinner?! UHG, I hate grocery shopping...

3 comments:

  1. I feel for ya! (and appreciate the special blog post... just for ME!!!) I oftentimes feel that way in the produce section too... simply because I don't know WTF to do with half of that crap!!! How the hell do you even begin to cut up a pineapple or pick a decent melon? And, no matter how many grocery items you actually bring home... there's NEVER anything for dinner amongst it all. OY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is even better is to buy all that stuff and stop and get MacDonalds on the way home!

    ReplyDelete